Tuesday 17 November 2020

Interview with Cliff Dagger

It always amazes the talented individuals within the fast growing online M.A.S.K. Community.  From those who, like myself, have written a script – such as Jason and Wyatt of Agents of M.A.S.K., to Kero Wack who gave us two complete comic strips over 7 issues and other great imagery.

One of the sections of the community that I love are those with 3D Printers who design great additions to the M.A.S.K. collective.  Whether it is based on vehicles or locations in the cartoons and/or comics or 100% new, creative not seen before ideas – it all helps bring M.A.S.K. to a wider audience.

Back on the 23rd of 2020, I set out the following challenge and included the cover of issue 52 –

 


“Ok, let's see you guys warm up your 3D Printers and get working on Cliff Dagger's Gun from the cover of Issue No 52 of M.A.S.K. UK!”

I didn’t really know what to expect – the results, I was blown away by!  I’ve recently acquired one such gun in the mail and have uploaded a copy of the video on Youtube for you view – or not – it’s your decision.  I also managed to catch up with the man responsible – Cliff Dagger.


M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Hey Cliff, thank you for taking the time to join me today.

Cliff Dagger (CD):  Thank you for this invitation and I’m glad you received my new toy :)

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  The toy is a great addition to my collection, thank you.  

I’m sure that the readers would like to know a little more about you (who are you, where are you from, how old are you, etc.)

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I am 38 years old, French and I’m an industrial electrician, robotics, video surveillance ... and I have been collecting MASK toys for more than 10 years.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Now, we all know you as the infamous Cliff Dagger and I appreciate your anonymity – what is it about Cliff Dagger that you like so much that you chose to take his name for your projects??

Cliff Dagger (CD):  When I was little at my nanny's, I was only allowed to play with super boring wooden toys!  In his son's room there were lots of great toys and I was forbidden to go!

One day I managed to go in there and I took Cliff Dagger and Jackhammer that I had mixed up with the wooden toys! The games have become much cooler and it has been in the accessible toy box for a very long time!!  Cliff is just a great memory from my childhood.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  You clearly are a massive fan of M.A.S.K. (ok, maybe V.E.N.O.M. more so), how did you first get into M.A.S.K.?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I watched the cartoons with my kids and I found them so bad!!  I started to watch MASQUE with them and the madness took me to collect my toys, to buy others and to start collecting them.


M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  So, when growing up, what toys did you have in your collection?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I have them all in European boxes, I also have some blister pack but not all of them, it was difficult to find them.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Like many of us, you would’ve watched the fabulous M.A.S.K. TV Series – was this in English or in your first language (if first language, how do the voice actors to compare to the likes of Doug Stone?)

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I only watch them in French, I am very bad at English! I don't know the names of the people who gave their MASK voice in French.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  We here at M.A.S.K. Comics obviously love the comics – what about yourself?  Did you have the comics as a child and if so, which variant of the comic?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I remember the French magazines that were small with MASK, there were only a few issues with drawings much less beautiful than the UK comics, but I would like to find them anyway.


M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  What about your collection these days, has it expanded?  Do you have any items now that you wish you’d had when you were a kid?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I love the whole universe of MASK and I find the blisters (MOC) are super beautiful, I would like to have all the variants that exist including the Argentines.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  When I was a kid, I also loved Action Man and Star Wars, what other toys/comics/films were you into and how have they inspired you today?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I also collect the ghostbuster, the TMNT, the GI Joe (but only the main ones because it very quickly takes up a lot of space).

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  As someone who doesn’t own a 3D, I’m really fascinated by the whole process and I was wondering if you can help me break it down as to how the process works.  Firstly, in terms of the designs, do you have an art background? 

Cliff Dagger (CD):  In France there are compulsory contributions for the right to training!   My meter was full and my employer asked me if I wanted to use them!  When I saw that there was training on 3D software it fascinated me immediately and I jumped at the opportunity!!  It allowed me to have the basics, learned by practicing it's like everything...

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  How do you draw the designs is it freehand on a tablet, or more CAD?  Which type of devices (MAC or PC) and Software do you use?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I do everything on a PC, I use several drawing software which are quite well-known - Fusion 360, SketchUp and SolidWorks.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  In terms of Printing, what kind of device do you use and are 3D printers expensive to run?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I have several machines of different sizes and technologies; my favourite brand is PRUSA but they don't make a big machine.  FDM prints (like the Dagger gun) are not very expensive ... I rather count the time!  The assembly is long, it is necessary to clean the parts, the assemblies, install the springs for the barrel, tested... to make the box, the manual...  it is especially the manual work which is long finally.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  You were very quick at coming up with Dagger’s Cannon once I threw down the gauntlet, how long can it take to come up with your creations?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  For the canon, I spent ten hours on the 3D software (the ejection mechanisms are not easy), I spent so much time printing, testing and resuming what was wrong!  I found that insufficient in the box, that's why I added the small trailer.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Do you also take existing toys from other toy lines and use those as a base for your fabulous custom creations to save some time?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  Lots of people ask me all kinds of things, Transformers, GI Joe, Dragon Ball ... I always answer NO, I'm having fun inventing MASK toys and as long as I'm not fed up with them I won't do anything else.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  There are many others in the Community who create their own M.A.S.K. creations, do you guys bounce ideas off of each other?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  Have all used the cartoon to take ideas so yes sometimes have done things that look like...  but everyone has their own style despite everything.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Do you have any tips or pointers for those setting on a 3D printing journey?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  Many people buy 3D printers, the 1st prices have become very attractive!  That's good but it takes people to create, invent the files!  There are too few customizers in vintage toys and there is so much to do!!!  All those who want and who are ready devoted time, launched you, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube, lots of discussion groups, you are welcome!!

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Where can our readers buy either the files or the actual toys you create?

Cliff Dagger (CD):  I don't sell the files because a lot of people behind do business and the creator is quickly forgotten... if anyone is interested, just talk to me on Facebook!  I answer everyone.

M.A.S.K. Comics (MC):  Thank you very much for taking the time to answer some questions and thank you very much for Dagger’s Cannon and the Trailer for Jackhammer.

#assembleMASK #MASKcomics #MASKcrusade

No comments:

Post a Comment