Sunday 19 April 2015

Box Art - M.A.S.K. and Airfix

We all now how great the M.A.S.K. Box Art is - as can been seen in these images from Albert Penello's M.A.S.K. website.



What makes them so great is the attention to detail; the action; the drama.  They truly bring these toys to life.

It was a master stroke to use this artwork to draw you into the action and grab your attention on the shop shelves.  

However, M.A.S.K. weren't the first toys to use this type of artwork on their boxes.  A UK based model company, Airfix, were (and still are) famous for this style of artwork.


I grew up with 4 older brothers so Airfix models were common place in my house.  The boxes all had great artwork and featured an image of the vehicle in some great action/battle scene.

For those of you not familiar with Airfix, they were kits that you built yourself.  The kits always came in the following format.


You would cut the pieces from the backing, glue them together, paint them and add decals.  I always found them fiddly myself and wasn't great at building them.

One of my pride and joys when I was younger, was a Millennium Falcon kit.  My oldest brother, Peter, bought it for me.  Luckily, he also built it up for me so it looked as good as it was meant to!  I hate to imagine the mess I would've made had I attempted it!


Much of Airfix's catalogue features Military Vehicles - planes, boats, tanks, etc.  There are, of course, so many more kits; as previously mentioned, the Millennium Falcon is just one of many Star Wars and other Sci-Fi related kits.  But anything that that drives or flies has most likely had the Airfix treatment.


To add to the drama, some of the vehicles featured on the boxes would be seen suffering damage making them vulnerable and adding to the realism.

#assembleMASK #Hasbro #MASKComics
#Airfix

No comments:

Post a Comment