Monday 12 September 2016

Sly Rax and Vanessa Warfield on the cover of Action Man?

The boys over at Agents of M.A.S.K. have posted about the new cover of Action Man.  It would appear to depict Sly Rax and Vanessa Warfield.

It is a great image and shows our two V.E.N.O.M. agents fighting alongside Action man and a Transformer.  I'm not even going to guess at which Transformer, my knowledge in that field is lacking these days.

It's well drawn and certainly draws you in.

Despite being a fantastic image, there are two issues that I have with this picture.

The first being that this hints to M.A.S.K. related characters being in this Action Man Comic.  This is where having a share universe gets messy.  We don't even have Revolutions or our standalone M.A.S.K. Comic yet and already we're being drawn in to buy other IDW Comics.

I'm sure that Action Man will be a great comic, but I'm not interested in buying it.  I want M.A.S.K. - plain and simple.

The next issue that I have with this cover is guns.

IDW are missing the point of why M.A.S.K. is called what it is.  Vanessa and Rax (if that definitely is who we're looking at) are wearing their Whip and Stiletto masks.  So, why do they need guns?

Surely, if we are bringing all of these teams together - Transformers, M.A.S.K., G.I. Joe, Action Man, etc. - shouldn't we at least see their unique differences?  Isn't the point that M.A.S.K. have different weapons to G.I. Joe to Transformers to Action Man?

If you are just going to give them guns - just call them Joes.

It may seem like I'm being harsh - but IDW really need to step up their game and bring people what they want - and that is M.A.S.K.

I was in a comic store recently to find out about ordering the new comics.  Not a single comic on the shelves was IDW.  The store owner told me that people aren't as interested in IDW titles as they are Marvel or DC Comics.  In fact, the regulars who order IDW's Transformers comics may not last once the Revolution begins.

IDW - setting M.A.S.K. up to fail before it's started.

M.A.S.K. Comics Facebook Page.

#assembleMASK #MASKComics #Hasbro
#MASKcrusade #DIC

No comments:

Post a Comment