Sunday 2 June 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness Versus a M.A.S.K. Movie

On Wednesday night I managed to get round to watching Star Trek Into Darkness.

I guess with any remake, there is always a sense of hope and dread in equal measure.  Will it be as good as the original series?  Will it be better.  Will Kirk and Spock live up to William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy?

When the first Star Trek movie came out and I found out J. J. Abrams was Director I was worried - I had watched the first two seasons of Lost and I was, well, lost...  I didn't really get it.

Then when Cloverfield came out I was again disappointed. It felt to me like a remake of Godzilla filmed in some sort of weird Blair Witch Project Style.  My wife could barely watch it and stared at the floor for most if it!  I found myself almost vomiting watching it - but I'd paid for it so I was damn well going to watch it all.

Thankfully, I enjoyed the first Star Trek Movie - in fact it isn't only the best Star Trek Movie, in my opinion, but probably one of the best movies of all time.  Fast forward a few years and we have the sequel and I hoped that it could match the first.

Needless to say, it didn't disappoint.  The Story is great, the acting is great, the soundtrack is great and as I previously mentioned re the original remake on Facebook, The Director of Photography deserves a medal.

I'd say it's a timeless classic.

Ok, so the image above sums up part of the reason why I liked it - but only a small part!

Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal as the main protagonist is one of the best performances I've seen on the big screen.  Famous in the UK for playing the titular character in the BBC reboot of Sherlock, I already knew he was a great actor.  

To see him as a baddie... he was in his element.  I recently watched Batman The Dark Knight Rises and thought the Bane Character was poor - sounded like a demented Kermit the Frog and not in the slightest scary - despite the calibre of the actor playing him.  This is how a baddie should be portrayed and if another Batman is made they should consider Cumberbatch in the role of baddie.


So, why mention this on my blog when it's not M.A.S.K. related?  Well, after watching these two great Star Trek Movies and seeing how J. J. Abrams has reinvented them, I think he would be great to revitalise and revive M.A.S.K. as a big screen movie.

Whether it were based on my script or the boys over at M.A.S.K. Movie I think he would make a great job of it.

Remember to keep up-to-date on my Facebook Page.  You can also follow this blog and comment below.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, I think he might be a bit too busy on Star Wars Episode VII to reboot MASK just yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a valid point. Hopefully he'll do as good a job of Star Wars as he has of Star Trek!

      Delete